Dairy Free Orange Cake
I whipped up this recipe the other day when I was making a pinata. It is absolutely delicious and I recommend eating it with whipped cream or alternatively greek honeyed yogurt (even though both are dairy) and strawberries. I rate this recipe at 5 stars as I had absolutely no issues with it. Enjoy my delicious cake recipe that provides you with your vitamin C, without the heaviness of dairy and fat.
1 cup of Self Raising Flour
1 cup of Almond Meal
1 cup of White Sugar
1 Egg (not necessary but good for binding)
1 cup of Fresh Orange Juice
The Rind of all oranges used for juice
- Preheat fan force oven to 180 degrees celsius. Use a 21 by 21 cm cake tin with a height of 5cm and cut a piece of baking paper that covers the bottom and sides of the inside of the cake tin. Put aside.
- Grate the orange rind (which is only the orange outer skin, not the inner white) and put aside. Use a hand grater and grate onto a plate. Squeeze orange juice into a cup and put aside.
- Measure the flour, sugar and almond meal and place into a large mixing bowl. Then add egg, orange juice and rind. Stir using a wooden spoon until the ingredients are combined and their are no more lumps of flour.
- Pour mixture into cake tin and then place in the oven for 20 mins. If it isn’t cooked at 20 mins, place in oven again for another 5 mins. Note: Cake doesn’t rise a lot and is very moist. Be careful not to overcook and lose the moistness.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool.